Given the positive reaction that my posting regarding a temporary fix to a laptop’s battery not charging, I thought I would share my resolution of another problem I confronted with my laptop.

I lost audio when trying to play anything on Youtube or any other site that used flash video – most people use Adobe – but had normal audio in all other respects. I googled this endlessly and tried various fixes without success. In the process I also discovered that this was a problem that many other computer users reported and most expressed frustration about the lack of a satisfactory solution either on Microsoft’s website or that of Adobe.

I finally found a solution on this website and I am copying verbatim that steps that should be taken to try and resolve the problem. It worked for me though precisely what it was that resolved the problem is somewhat of a mystery since I did not attempt to verify at each step that the problem had been solved. I suspect what did it was the deletion temporary files ….. apparently a corrupted file can cause this problem to occur however others were able to resolve their problem by following other steps outlined. So essentially, it is not a case of the same fix working for everyone. There is an element of trial and error.

If it works for you or if you find another solution to the problem do take a few minutes to leave your comments so that it can assist others.

As always, attempt these fixes at your own risk. I use Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bits) and it resolved my problem without any adverse ramifications to my computer.

Here are the steps ……….. and it may not be necessary to do every single one to resolve the problem:

1. Flash stores its files in a temporary files folder. A corrupt download can cause the sound problems.

Delete the following folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Application Data\Adobe\Flash Player
C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player

2. Empty your temporary internet files.

Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options
Firefox: Tools -> Clear Private Data
Opera: Tools -> Delete Private Data

3. Empty your temporary files folder.

Use this command to empty your temporary files folder:
Start -> Run -> RMDIR /S /Q “%TEMP%”

4. Install the latest version of the Flash plugin. You can download it HERE. If you have problems upgrading the plugin, then uninstall your existing version first with this tool. Close your browser(s) before you run the uninstall tool.

5. Run the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool. Near the top you should see an option to fix the sound (Midi, WaveOut). Select that and press Next. If the option is grayed out, then that particular registry fix is not needed. This fix will restore a missing “wavemapper” registry key.

6. Go to the Flash Player Settings Manager website. Click HERE.
Check the box called “Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer.”

7. Go to the Flash Player Settings Manager website. Click HERE.
Click on the button to remove the data that the Flash plugins has stored for websites that you have visited.

8. Check if your sound device settings are correct:
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio

9. If you have QuickTime installed, then go to the QuickTime control panel. On the Audio tab, set “Default Music Synthesizer” to “General MIDI”.
On the Advanced tab, disable “Enable playback of Adobe Flash tracks”.
On the browser tab, click on “MIME Settings”. Under “Miscellaneous”, make sure “Flash media” is unchecked.

10. Check if the file msacm32.drv is present in the C:\Windows\system32 folder. If not, copy it from another PC (that has the same version of Windows) and place the file in the system32 folder. If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, then the file should be present in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

11. If you are also having sound problems with other applications, then re-installing your audio drivers might solve the problem.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>